Wednesday 11 September 2013

Setting Sail in the San Juan Islands

At the Helm of "Stardust"
For one, glorious week this summer, I had the experience of a lifetime in the San Juan Islands. My family and I chartered a boat through San Juan Sailing and Yachting and were presented with the most beautiful vessel I have ever laid my eyes on. Her name was "Stardust" and she was definitely magic.

Stardust at her slip at San Juan Sailing and Yachting
Although I can't say too much about my experience (you'll be able to read all about my week on the water in the Calgary Herald soon enough) but I will say that there is something fantastic about being on the ocean, taking your time and feeling like you are the only people in the world.

Although "Stardust" took some time to adjust to (she's 50 feet in length) and we needed a day to learn how to maneuver her well - she was definitely worth the time spent learning.

The people at San Juan Sailing and Yachting were so incredibly helpful, patient and fun with explaining everything to us before we headed out.

Evening view each night in the San Juan Islands
The San Juan Islands were both beautiful and idyllic. We truly felt like we were getting away from it all. We also met a lot of interesting people on the water and in the islands. There's a certain comradery when you have a boat, and time does tend to go slower on the water.

If you are ever thinking of chartering a boat, you will never regret it. Our family truly unplugged and for the first time, in a long time, all we had was each other - and that was truly a wonderful thing.

I'll be posting a link to my article when it is published in the Calgary Herald.

No comments:

Post a Comment